The question isn’t whether you like your website but is it inviting visitors to stay? Did you know that you have less than 10 seconds (actually more like 5 seconds) to grab someone’s attention? Sure you have needs that must be meet by your site but it doesn’t work if your visitors won’t engage. Keeping your site clean, easy to navigate and showcases your artwork should be your #1 goal. Can’t tell you how many artists’ websites I visit in a week but a large percentage don’t grab my attention and it has nothing to do with their artwork. You should be looking at your site as if you were the visitor. It’s like critiquing your own work…pull the emotion and personal views out of it. Here is this week’s challenge…it’s a 2 Part Series.
15 Minute Challenge, Part 1 – Does your website pass the test?
- When was the last time you updated or actually looked at your website?
- Are you capable of managing/updating your own site?
- Would you describe your website template as clean or cluttered?
- Are your website background colors neutral?
- Do you have so many categories and tabs that your navigation bar is more than a single line?
- How many categories of paintings do you have? i.e. florals, still life, landscape, figurative, oils, watercolors, drawings, mixed media, impressionism, small works? You get the idea.
- How much artwork do you have listed on your site?
- What is your oldest image currently on your site? Does it reflect where you are currently as an artist?
- Does your website have bells and whistles? i.e. music playing in the background? If so, stop immediately and remove!!!
- Is your email listed on your website? This does not include a contact page.
- If you have a logo, does it over power the images on your home page?
- Do you have a way for visitors to subscribe to your latest announcements and news?
- Do you use any “Call to Actions”?
- Do you list painting information and prices on your website?
- Do visitors have a simple way to purchase or inquire about your work?
- Is there a picture of you on your website?
- Do you have an Events page that is blank or just lists previous events?
- If you have a contact page, how often do you check for messages?
Now, keep these answers for next week. I’ll be back with some suggestions on how to improve your website.
Reminder: If you have any tasks that you are struggling, please email me. If I use your suggestion as a 15 Minute Challenge, you will receive a free 30 minute consultation with me.
Check our monthly Art Muse Contest. Great cash prizes, opportunities for gallery representation and exhibition plus other cool prizes.